An Assembled Sèvres Dinner Service
comprising an ice-pail (1764), a trefoil dish (1773), a cream jug (1753, restored), a salad bowl (no date letter), a smaller bowl (1774), a rare footed tray (1758/9, painter’s mark for Tardy), a soup-plate (1771), nine large saucer dishes (various date-letters 1764-1775), two slightly larger saucer dishes (1767 and 1768), and eighteen plates (various date-letters 1759-1780, five with minuscule chips, six with repaired chips), all decorated with sprigs of summer flowers within blue borders heightened with gilding
In 1740, the Vincennes Factory was founded, with support from Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour, to compete with the superlative productions of the Meissen Factory in Germany. In 1756 the factory was moved to a custom-built edifice at Sèvres, chosen as it was conveniently close to Madame de Pompadour’s Chateau de Bellevue. The factory was bought by the King in 1759, and Madame de Pompadour was given a free reign to oversee it. Initially producing soft-paste porcelain, from 1770, with the recent discovery of kaolin deposits in France, the factory also began producing hard-paste porcelain.