Guild of Handicraft Tooled Leather Stick-Stand or Bin
the tapering cylindrical form decorated with tooled gilt decoration. Signed to the base with the Guild of Handicraft logo.
Charles Robert Ashbee founded the Guild and School of Handicraft in 1888. Originally based in Whitechapel, East London, occupying Essex House in Mile End from 1891, the Guild was founded in line with the principles of the Arts and Crafts movement. Based on the model of the medieval workshop, the Guild was meant to be a co-operative environment with members expected to take part in extra-curricular social and leisure activities – river trips, plays and sports.
The Guild produced leather, furniture,interior design, metalwork , jewellery and books, with much of the work based on Ashbee’s designs. Revival of traditional techniques, education of working people and encouraging satisfaction through labour are key Arts and Crafts features of the Guild’s work .
The move to Chipping Campden in Gloucestershire in 1902 was one of the most radical aspects of the Guild’s existence, with 150 people, the Guildsmen and their families moving from the East End to the Cotswolds. Ashbee believed that living a simple, `collective life in rural surroundings would add to the health and well-being of the craftsmen and consequently the work they produced.
Although the work of the Guild was widely exhibited, increasing financial difficulties from 1905 eventually resulted in the voluntary liquidation of the Guild in 1908.