Large Bayeux Porcelain Vase Lamp
baluster shaped and with chinoiserie handles, boldly painted on both sides with irises on a chintz-pattern ground. Fitted with double bulb holder and giltwood base.
On 9th June, 1812, Pierre Joachim Langlois acquired the buildings of the Benedictine Convent at Bayeux, which had been confiscated during the Revolution, and there he and his wife started the Bayeux Porcelain Manufactory. In October 1849 the factory was purchased by François Gosse and continued successfully under him and his son, Paul, producing mostly decorative and domestic pieces, often decorated with chinoiserie or botanical subjects, and it was under their aegis that the offered vase was produced. In 1878 the factory was sold again to J. Morlent, and continued producing porcelain until 1951.