Pair of Wedgwood Caneware Dishes or Coasters
finely moulded to the inside of the rim with a border of trailing fruiting vines. Possibly intended as coasters for wine bottles or simply as dishes. Impressed WEDGWOOD to the base.
Caneware is a buff-coloured stoneware body, made from local marl clay and flint, first produced by Josiah Wedgwood in 1770 but significantly improved over the following two decades by the addition of Cornish china stone. Its heyday coincided with the fashion for bamboo decoration during the Late George III and Regency period, circa 1800-1820. A course version was used for so-called pastry ware about 1800. Other notable makers were Spode, Davenport, Elijah Mayer, Turner and the Herculaneum factory.
Source: page 222 “English Pottery 1620-1840 by Robin Hildyard”