George III Painted Wheel-back or Star-Back Armchair
the cartouche shaped back with pierced star or wheel splat with curving arms; the caned seat with original squab cushion supported on cabriole legs in the french taste, all delicately painted with shells, harebells and scrollwork in shades of green on a cream japanned ground.
Whilst not possessing known constructional techniques associated with the workshops of Thomas Chippendale, such as the clamp notches around the rear leg (which may be due to the caned seat and the associated weakness in the inside edge of the frame that the clamp notches create), due to strong similarities with other pieces known to have been supplied by the great furniture designer/workshop, this chair could be attributed to the work of Thomas Chippendale.
The distinct wheel-back of this chair is very similar to a set of cartouche wheel-back chairs photographed by Edwin Smith in ‘The Balcony Room’ at Dyrham Park, Gloucestershire, in 1971 (Illustrated).
In 1774, Thomas Chippendale supplied ‘green and white japanned’ ‘Star back’ chairs for Paxton House, Scotland (C. Gilbert, The Life and Work of Thomas Chippendale, London, 1978, vol. II, p. 271 and fig. 164).
Henry Hill of Marlborough also used a similar pattern for chairs supplied to Thomas Mansel at Penrice Castle, Glamorgan, in 1778 (illustrated Lucy Wood, The Upholstered Furniture in the Lady Lever Art Gallery, Volume II, Singapore, 2008, p. 628, fig. 394).