Pair of George III Blades type Cut Glass Candelabra
each candelabra with twin branches. The diamond cut column bases, central radially cut pans, diamond cut nozzles and drip pans all hung with buttons and icicles. The ormolu metal work chased with various decorative motifs including guilloche, reeding, diamond pattern chasing and centred by a flame finial.
John Blades was first mentioned in the London Guide 1783, registered at 5 Ludgate Hill, remaining there when until his death in 1829 when the business was continued by his sons until 1857.
Known for his very high quality gilt bronze metalwork and superbly cut, facetted drops, Blades had a close relationship with the architect JB Papworth, probably working as a lighting designer. A well known illustration of the Blades showrooms, designed by Papworth in 1823, is shown in Ackerman’s Depository of the Arts and clearly shows the extensive range of glassware on offer.
For more information on Blades; Martin Mortimer, The English Glass Chandelier, Antique Collectors Club, 2000