Pair of George III Cut Glass Candlestick Lustres attributed to John Blades
the two-tier bases with alternating file and groove cutting support a diamond cut baluster with feather-edged drip pans and diamond cut nozzles. The drip pan are hung with button drops and triangular icicles and the nozzle with icicles.
John Blades was first mentioned in the London Guide 1783, registered at 5 Ludgate Hill, remaining there when until his death in 1829 when the business was continued by his sons until 1857.
Known for his very high quality gilt bronze metalwork and superbly cut, facetted drops, Blades had a close relationship with the architect JB Papworth, probably working as a lighting designer. A well known illustration of the Blades showrooms, designed by Papworth in 1823, is shown in Ackerman’s Depository of the Arts and clearly shows the extensive range of glassware on offer.
For more information on Blades; Martin Mortimer, The English Glass Chandelier, Antique Collectors Club, 2000